The Commission Process
The Initial consulation
In our initial consultation, we'll go over your vision for a custom piece of art. You determine the general subject, size, any reference pictures you would like me to use and primary colors of the artwork, but leave decisions about the details to my discretion.
I want to make sure I create a masterpiece for you, and the more freedom you give me, the better I will be able to do this. I do not accept commissions outside of my style or general subject matter.
Proposal + Contract
I'll create a custom proposal + contract with all the details of general subject, size, primary colors of the artwork and cost. If you are ready to book, you can go ahead and sign the contract + pay the invoice for the first 50% as a deposit.
This 50% is a non-refundable deposit. I want my clients to be 100% satisfied with the final artwork. If they are not, they can apply their deposit to the purchase of other work (excluding murals).
Proposal + Contract
After booking, I'll give you an estimated time of completion, and a schedule of the various steps along the way:
- when I will begin
- images of the initial sketches
- when you will receive images of the final art for your approval
- framing time, if applicable
- crating and delivery time. The client takes responsibility for shipping costs and installation, if any.
Payment and Delivery
Once complete, I'll send high-resolution photos prior to shipping or delivering the artwork. I use approval of the photo as a final commitment to the purchase and ask for the balance due at that point.
The art will be shipped or delivered upon receipt of the final invoice payment.Once the artwork has been installed, I'd love for you to send me photos of the piece in it's new home!
Frequently Asked Questions
- MINIMUM ORDER There is a minimum order amount of $300.
- REFUNDS PT I You are under no obligation to purchase the painting if you aren't happy with the end result. The invoice originally paid (50% of the total cost) can count towards store credit in my shop, but is nonrefundable. Once the FINAL invoice (50% of the total cost) is paid, no refunds, shop credit, or exchanges are given.
- REFUNDS PT 2 If for any reason either party cancels the commission after the initial studies have been completed but before the canvas has been started, a partial refund of the Deposit Payment will be given. This refund will be $100 minus the Deposit Payment amount. This $100 fee covers my time consulting, creating, and materials used.
- TIME FRAME Once begun, commissioned paintings on canvas generally take 4-8 weeks for completion (includes the entire process outlined above).
- REPLICATE A PAINTING? I like to ensure that each client's piece is unique, so I never set out to exactly replicate a specific painting. But I am happy to create a different version of an existing painting, that is similar yet unique!
- PAINTINGS ON PAPER? I am not accepting commissions for works on paper at this time.
- SHIPPING There are two options for shipping canvases - stretched & boxed or crated VS. unstretched & rolled using a tube + polymailer. Shipping costs vary due to location, size, and if you would like your piece to arrive stretched or not. (Unstretched are sent rolled and can be taken to a frame shop to stretch; Stretched pieces arrive wired and ready to hang, but may need a custom crate built to ship them, increasing costs.)